Author Topic: INTEX AQUA FISH: thoughts, experiences, region compatibility?  (Read 820 times)

Offline tkoham

• View Profile
  • Phone model: Jolla
INTEX AQUA FISH: thoughts, experiences, region compatibility?
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:17:22 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of getting an Intex Aqua Fish, and I'd love to hear from those of you who own one, as my jolla is really starting to show its age, I can't find an Oysters SF for sale or pre-order in my region, and there is some cosmetic damage that would cost more to fix than to buy a new phone (I live in the US, so any screen cracks, scuffs, etc are a fix-it-yourself affair with astronomical shipping on the replacement parts)

I'd love to hear from you all on your experiences with the Aqua Fish, or other 3rd party SF phones that I may not be aware of, and, most importantly:

Does the 3g/LTE work well in the US?

I know I should be able to get 2g and 3g on my network (T-mobile has reframed both to be more compatible with euro/asian phones) but nothing beats hands on experience. I personally cannot wait for a premium or at least competitive midrange product with SF to hit the US market, but I also can't wait to upgrade, even if it is incremental, and the Aqua Fish won't cut into my plans to either import a puzzlephone or Turing product on their launch, because it is so inexpensive.

Offline fmo

• View Profile
  • Phone model: Nokia N900
Re: INTEX AQUA FISH: thoughts, experiences, region compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
Hi,

I am new here,  ex-Maemo and Meego user (N800, N900, N9).

I am really interested too on any feedback on this phone, I want to buy a Jolla phone and it's the only decent option available at the moment.

I am especially interested about updates on the phone, does it run the latest version of Jolla and does it get OTA updates?

Thank you

Offline fmo

• View Profile
  • Phone model: Nokia N900
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 06:20:37 PM »
@tkoham I checked on willmyphonework.net and it doesn't look good I'm afraid for you  :'(

The Intex Aqua Fish seems to have very limited support in the US and mostly 2G, no 3G , and some 4G on Illinois Valley Celluar and US Cellular (not sure if US Celluar is mainstream, I only know of AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile in the US).

It looks much brighter for me in the UK, it supports 2G, 3G and 4G on EE (which happens to be my carrier).
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 06:26:47 PM by fmo »

Offline tkoham

• View Profile
  • Phone model: Jolla
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 10:37:23 PM »
US cellular exists manly in the south and rural midwest/west coast, but has decent coverage. good to know, though. half the price of an imported jolla anyway so I'm not too bothered about switching carriers.